Thursday, February 14, 2008

Election- How does it work?


Does my vote really count?
The answer is YES! Here's a break down of how it all works.

Each state as a number of "Electors"- Number of Senators (2) plus number of Congressmen (varies by state)

These are decided on election day.

Who choses these people? Political parties nominate Electors! They are pre-selected (sometimes at party conventions) and then confirmed on election day.
On election day each party will have a number of Electors ready to be confirmed.

For example in Texas 34 Republican Electors and 34 Democrat Electors are ready on election day. If the Democrates win Texas then only the 34 Democrat Electors get to vote. All but two states are "winner take all". So, the vote may be narrow like 50.1 percent Dem. and 49.9 percent Rep.

Dem. would get all the Electoral votes.

The "Electors" get to vote for President and Vice President. You get to vote which party gets to cast their Electoral Vote.

Only three times in history has a president been elected without popular vote. 1876, 1888, 2000.

Bottom Line- Vote and hope your Elector gets to vote for President.







4 comments:

One Busy Mom said...

Michelle....this is ingenious. I will link you to my blog. brandichambless.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

Wow Michelle! This is really great!!! You are so smart! :-)

For real, I love it. I've never seen anything like it!

Jenny said...

Thanks for doing this. So, are the electors the same as delegates?

Miss Lisa said...

Michelle,
This is great! I am always trying to sharpen my brain as I feel it is slowly turning to a pile of mush--it's one of the reasons we do CDA--I am learning right along with my kiddos.
I am attempting to blog myself right now. Click on my name and it should lead you to my blogs.